Living in a Perfectly Planned Barbie World
Pink. Feminism. Barbie. The film that has taken the world by storm with owning the box office has left many in both the film and marketing community tipping their hat. With a marketing budget most have not seen for film, many are taking notes of the fully integrated plan to make everyone’s world a Barbie World.
From Chevrolet
to Beis,
Barbie became ingrained into everyday life so effortlessly. In an interview for
Variety, Josh
Goldstine, president of global marketing for Warner Brothers,
chalked it up to brands wanting to collaborate due to the buzz the film was
creating. I think this argument could be made for any blockbuster, but what
made Barbie different? For me, it was the nostalgia for childhood and the
aspiration to be like Barbie. This is not a comment upon the desire to look
like her, but rather, have the confidence to be anything.
Also, not going to lie, she has some killer outfits.
The explosion of Barbie in every aspect of life did not feel overwhelming. To be honest, it left me wanting more and wondering what could be next. Everyone’s excitement for the film continued to grow with each trailer release and the announcement of new collaborations. Social media was key to the continued expansion of the buzz. Influencers planning their outfits, attending events, going to the premiere just made it feel like everyone was going along for the ride.
Source: Vans
Why I think the Barbie campaign was so successful was that it always felt organic. From a consumer perspective, I never felt like I was trying to be sold something. I was always included in the world that was created and I continue to feel welcomed regardless of which Barbie I am (I am Gloria).
Barbie was a friend to most during their childhood, but there was the crowd that did not identify with her. So, the hate and disgust of her image was continuously called out. The marketing campaign set out to remind everyone Barbie can be anyone and she can be a part of any industry; she can be a gamer, comfort queen, an ambassador of hygiene. Thus, Barbie is you and Barbie is me; the ingenious marketers proved this more than once on this campaign cycle.
Source: Microsoft
Hate or love it, Barbie’s team did something right and many will be looking to the extensive marketing campaign for tips and tricks to their own Barbieland.
Please note: I continue
to stand with SAG-AFTRA and WGA. All posts are made with the intention of
educating and looking at the work already done by the community.
Comments
Post a Comment